Welcome to our Reference Room. Here you will find a variety of articles, links to articles and resources that we find informative and useful. We hope you will, too. We make every effort to check these links routinely, but we may miss some -- if you find a broken link please let us know!
Please note: You must have Acrobat Reader to view many of the files listed here. If necessary, the Acrobat Reader link will directed you to a page where it can be downloaded.
Rules, Regulations and Guidelines
US Food & Drug Administration
- USFDA - Cosmetics Labeling -Cosmetic Labeling Manual
- USFDA - Cosmetics Labeling and Label Claims
- USFDA - Color Additives and Cosmetics
- USFDA - Compliance Program Import and Domestic - Guidance Manual Chapter 29
- USFDA - Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both? (or Is It Soap?)
- USFDA - Labeling for Topically Applied Cosmetics Containing Alpha Hydroxy Acids as Ingredients
- USFDA - "Organic" Cosmetics
- USFDA - Parabens
- USFDA - Safety of Nanomaterials in Cosmetics - Guide for Industry
- USFDA - Small Business & Homemade Cosmetics - Fact Sheet
- USFDA - Sunscreens - Guide for Industry
- USDA - Wrinkle Treatments and Other Anti-aging Products
Cosmetic Ingredient Review
- CIR Annual Report 2012 - Cosmetic Ingredient Review (including listings of re-reviewed ingredients)
- Cosmetic Ingredients Found Safe As Used
- Cosmetic Ingredients Found Safe With Qualifications
- Cosmetic Ingredients With Insufficient Data to Support Safety (thru Feb 2012)
- Cosmetic Ingredients With insufficient Data to Support Safety (thru June 2013)
- Cosmetic Ingredients Found Unsafe For Use in Cosmetics
- CIR Zero Use Ingredients with Insufficient Data (thru June 2013)
- CIR Reference - Cosmetic Ingredients Prohibited/Restricted by FDA (59 total, thru June 2013
European Cosmetics Directive
Specialized Search Engines and Databases
Formulating - The Basics and Beyond
Emulsions and the HLB System Maurice Hevey
Emulsification of Cosmetic Ingredients ICI Americas Inc.
Effervescent Technology Primer Allan Rau, Cosmetics & Toiletries magazine article
Phase Inversion in Liquid-Liquid Dispersions Matar, Hewitt and Ortiz
Solubilization - Solubilized Systems ICI Americas Inc.
The HLB System Uniqema Inc.
Three Dimensional HLB Zenitech
Cyclomethicone and Essential Oil Testing Lotioncrafter
Cyclomethicone and Fragrance Oil Testing Lotioncrafter
Dr. Z. on Peptides Zenitech
Dr. Z. on Vitamins Michael W. King, Ph.D, IU School of Medicine, courtesy of Zenitech
Petrolatum - A Useful Classic David S. Morrison, PhD
Sorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate as Cosmetic Preservatives Eastman